[Microbit-Python] Repl not echoing back

Carol Willing willingc at willingconsulting.com
Sat Dec 12 18:27:26 EST 2015

Hi Naomi,

Perhaps a shot in the dark, did you try picocom?  picocom /dev/ttyACM0
-b 115200  Replacing with the correct port. I've used with the Mac Pro.
I'm still running Yosemite. Are you on El Capitan?

You could try getting rid of any cruft of old USB /dev/tty files.

Damien, Does the microbit have a hard reset by pulling a GPIO pin low?

> Naomi Ceder <mailto:naomi.ceder at gmail.com>
> December 11, 2015 at 7:37 PM
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm having a very weird issue with Mary the micro:bit.
>
> It had been working fine... until I was about to demo before the
> Chicago Python group (ChiPy) last night.
>
> Then suddenly the repl wouldn't work. That is, I could apparently
> connect, I could type commands in, the LED on the microbit would flash
> as normal, but nothing was echoed back. I could put scripts on the
> flash and the would run normally, but after trying 3 different
> terminal programs (all of which had worked before), still no joy.
>
> Tonight I've been experimenting more and I can confirm that the
> commands I'm entering do get to the microbit and are executed as
> normal. Even arrowing up and tab completion are working normally, but
> nothing gets sent back to my screen.
>
> I've mainly kept the comm settings at what worked well before 115200,
> N-8-1 and I might add that I've used 2 or 3 different versions of the
> firmware with the same reaction, two different USB cables, a lot of
> swearing, and I'm sort of at wit's end.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this? Is there something obvious that I'm
> missing? Or something mysterious that I need to know? Or is it just a
> wonky micro:bit. I honestly didn't do a thing to it from when it
> worked fine until when it didn't, and it strikes me as a bit odd that
> it will do everything as before, EXCEPT echo the characters back to
> the terminal.
>
> Halp?
>
> Thanks,
> Naomi