[Microbit-Python] Latest (good) news - MicroPython and editor demo videos

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Tue Aug 11 18:09:12 CEST 2015

Hi Folks,

I've prepared the following videos. Please watch them and give feedback.
By the end of this afternoon I'll push all the code that makes this
happen (web-editor -> microbit .hex file) to the repos here:

https://github.com/sparkslabs/micropython-bit

There are three videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MoBKf3jTIY - the Python editor running
on a local instance of TouchDevelop. This is, ultimately, what we need
to integrate with Microsoft. It's very simple and pretty much works as
advertised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duyqxrvDXzU - connecting to the
micro:bit and interacting with it via the standard Python REPL. A very
1980's 8 bit feel. It's also a nice demonstration of just how capable
MicroPython is. Kudos to Damien for such an amazing feat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCIWY485bx0 - flashing the device with
.hex files generated via the Python editor embedded within TouchDevelop.
It's just like all the other editors but it works offline (construction
of the .hex file is done within the user's browser rather than via
Microsoft and ARM's compilation cloud service thingamabobs).

Howard - will these suffice for the purposes of demonstrating the work
completed so far for tomorrow..?

Finally, I'm trying to get micro:bits so people can play, develop and
improve these first initial steps. To be honest, I've managed to get
nowhere despite flagging this up (sorry Howard, I realise you're not the
BBC but just the messenger). :-/

I'll ping the list when there's code to look at (even though you won't
be able to run it).

Best wishes,

Nicholas.