[meta-sig] Mailing list expiry dates

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Oct 17 11:25:14 CEST 2005

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 01:08, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
>
>>On Saturday 15 October 2005 07:27, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> > it seems that all SIGs have expired ;-)
>>
>>Heh.  Frankly, I think the "expiration" stuff is pretty silly.  Can we simply
>>get rid of it?
>

> I still like the idea of culling sigs that are no longer necessary, or
> that haven't made any progress in a while.  OTOH, I'm not sure any of
> the existing sigs are worthy of retirement.
>
> My suggestion would be to tag all the existing active sigs to expire
> December 2006, but if the consensus is to just ditch the expiration
> dates, I suppose we can tag them all as "Never" and just deal with
> useless sigs on a case-by-case basis.

I'm with Fred here: I don't think that we have a good reason
to expire any of the lists. They don't really "cost" anything
much in maintenance (except maybe some time on the behalf of
the list administrators).

I think we should let the list administrators suggest list
removal instead of enforcing a expiry mechanism.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 17 2005)