[meta-sig] Proposal: Web-SIG

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:04:29 -0400

> On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 06:41, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > I suggest that you mention this idea on c.l.py, gather support there
> > (INCLUDING PEOPLE WILLING TO DO THE WORK!), draft a mission statement,
> > and then come back.  If you can do all that, I expect you won't have
> > any trouble getting the sig created.
>
> I'm not really sure what to do with this.  My goal is to bring together
> people who have already done the work, many (probably most) of whom are
> not on c.l.py.

Your initial post stated some clear goals, which included work, like
creating webpages with reviews of the various systems.  You're not
expecting to do that all yourself, are you?  If you are, forget the
whole thing; it won't happen (and you wouldn't need a SIG anyway :-).

> Since I was planning on doing it anyway, here's a list I just compiled
> of all the related projects (sections sorted by relevance, but no
> sorting withing sections).  People obviously are working on this
> stuff... I'm just hoping to get people to work together better.  I'd
> rather spend my time hassling these people to get involved than to spend
> time on an extended discussion on c.l.py... I suppose I can contact all
> these people individually, but it'd be nice to be able to tell them (if
> they do want to cooperate) that they should all come somewhere to
> discuss it.

If you don't want to go the c.l.py route, getting these people (at
least some of them) to individually announce their willingness to help
to the meta-sig would work, too.

> I think the length of the list is itself an indication of the problem
> we're having.

I don't know.  I suppose if you ask for a list of web products for
Java, the list would be much longer.  But let's not have the SIG's
discussion on the meta-sig.