[meta-sig] Proposal: Web-SIG

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 08 Apr 2003 07:41:26 -0400

> Except for Guido, no one has responded to this.  Thoughts?  Opinions?
> Implicit consent?  What can I do to move this forward?

I suggest that you mention this idea on c.l.py, gather support there
(INCLUDING PEOPLE WILLING TO DO THE WORK!), draft a mission statement,
and then come back.  If you can do all that, I expect you won't have
any trouble getting the sig created.

There's (intentionally) not much of a formal process for SIG creation
beyond the guidelines on http://www.python.org/sigs/guidelines.html,
but in my experience one person proposing something and a few others
shouting "that's a good idea" is no guarantee for a successful SIG.
I'm not much of a web developer myself (despite working for a web
company :-), so it's hard for me to judge whether a particular subject
needs a SIG.  The best reason to create a SIG is usually that lots of
people are already working on the topic and want a place to meet.  A
poor reason to create a SIG is to want others to solve your problems.

Note that we had a web-sig until 1998, so technically you'd be
reviving that one; however, reviving a SIG requires (at least) the
same effort as creating one.