[meta-sig] Starting a Sound sig.

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:57:35 -0400

On 18 September 2000, Aaron Berg said:
> For the last year I have struggled to find good sound utilities and
> sound handling code for python. I myself may not have the knowledge to
> create these needed modules. I would like to start a SIG that deals
> exclusivly with sound issues in python.

Sounds like a good idea to me.  I haven't done any sound programming in
Python (or any other language, for that matter), but the existing
support for sound programming in the standard library seems to be a bit,
ummm, scattered.

For one recent example, it has been fairly well established on
python-dev that the linuxaudiodev extension isn't really up to scratch.
Also there doesn't seem to be any unified sound API.  These are all good
things for a SIG to tackle.

*If* enough people are interested and able and willing to contribute
code, I'd say a sound SIG is a good idea.  ('fraid you can't count me
under "able" to contribute code: I know nothing about sound programming,
and I'm pretty well committed with other projects.)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@mems-exchange.org
MEMS Exchange / CNRI                           voice: +1-703-262-5376