[meta-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] SIG: python-lang

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Wed, 31 May 2000 11:53:30 -0700

> I'm extremely hopeful about something called Wiki.

My problem with wikis (although we are using some ZWikis in-house) is that
it doesnt' go through email, which is how i get all my news.  I'm also not
sure if we collectively have the work habits required to use wikis as we've
learned to use email.  with an email archive, one can track the development
of ideas, and arguments, and 'catch up'.  With wikis, one is left with the
state of things as they are now.

Jim, in your spare time =), could you summarize _how_ you folks at DC use
wikis?  How do you decide what to read?  How do you deal with a wiki after
you've been away from it for a while?  (The RecentChanges page is only a
crutch in some ways).  How do you evolve wikis?  How do you tell people
about changes you want them to know about (the equivalent of cc:
guido@python.org)?

Just for everyone's information, I use wikis to store 'notes'.  Things that
people arrive at during the development process, a place to share URLs and
other tidbits which don't fit into a neat structure like a shared
filesystem.  It's a fairly different use from dealing with the general
discussions which are currently done on mailing lists/newsgroups.

I agree that there's a problem, and wikis are enticing, but I haven't
figured out how best to use them yet.

--david