[meta-sig] IDE sig

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:15:29 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Gordon Worley wrote:

> >Moving the GUI definition to XML could potentially solve the problem
> >of the plethora of GUI libraries.  Both Mozilla and libglade can be
> >used for inspiration in building a similar XML based layout capability
> >for Tcl/Tk, PythonWin, and wxPython.
>
> Well, I can't speak for Just, because I'm not him.  However, moving the
> interfaces to XML (especially for IDLE) would be nice for us Mac users
> because Tk is so poorly implimented on the Mac.

One of my crack-addled projects is to port Gtk (and eventually
Glade/Libglade) for the MacOS. It's starting off slowly alas.

> Oh, and back to the meta issue at hand, an IDE SIG might be nice, but maybe
> it should be aimed at developing a single IDE for use on all platforms and
> then tie in the development of other IDEs so that options will still exist.

As there's a Gtk+ port for Windows and Unix, I think this is probably the
best overall GUI toolkit?

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.net   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"That doesn't make sense in any meaning of 'sense' with which I'm