[meta-sig] IDE sig

Ken Seehof kens@sightreader.com
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 00:16:56 -0800

Deliverables:

- Common library to be shared by various IDE projects
      - source code wizards
      - build tools
      - etc.
- Standards for integrating source code control systems
- Forum for ideas feature requests

I'm not sure if there is sufficient volume though.  I have noticed that
relevant discussions pop up in several other places (wxPython, edu-sig,
compiler-sig) that belong in an IDE sig.  I'd like to alleviate the danger
of duplication of effort.

The biggest problem is that IDLE is tcl-tk and some of the other stuff
going on is wxPython (my favorite), and then there's PythonWin.  On
the one hand this means it may be difficult to make a useful library that
serves everyone; on the other hand these various groups need to be
pushed to talk to each other more, and a sig might have that effect.
Who knows, maybe everyone will move over to wxPython like they
should :-)

You may be right though, there might not be enough people doing
IDE work right now to support a sig.  I do think there would be at
least three regular members that I know of.