[PYTHON META-SIG] Re: pattern-sig -- tired of waiting...

Barry A. Warsaw Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:42:21 -0500

    MAL> Could you or Barry be more specific with regard to the PSAs
    MAL> objection to create a SIG for patterns, idioms and frameworks
    MAL> ?

My personal objection was that the mission for the SIG is too vague.
My own model of a SIG is as a working group.

I don't think SIGs that are used as a general forum for discussion are
as successful as those that are created with specific deliverables in
mind -- the SIG as working group; e.g. MatrixSIG, Objective-C-SIG,
StringSIG, PythonWIN-SIG, DocumentationSIG.  These are all formed to
_produce_ something and so the discussions are most likely not of
general interest to the list (as opposed to the products of those
working groups).

Second, because I think any discussion that would take place on
PatternSIG can be of general interest to the Python audience at large,
and because SIGs by their nature aren't going to be as widely
dispersed as the newsgroup/main mailing list, I think at this time, a
PatternSIG unnecessarily segregates the Python community.

I'd much rather see the you guys start talking about this stuff on the
main mailing list.  Then we can start a SIG when there are
well-defined deliverables (which could be, e.g. Web pages of Python
patterns/idioms), or when the sustained traffic proves to be
disruptive to the main list.

    MAL> [Looks like, PSA membership isn't good for anything after
    MAL> all...]

I don't know why you say this.

-Barry