[META-SIG] Re: retiring the db-sig

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 11:43:38 -0400

> > Michael McLay writes, on retiring the db-sig:
> > > on this some.)  Also, since the sig web page is the primary hook for
> > > getting information about the Python database interface standard it
> > > can't just be abandoned.  It would create some dead links.
>
> 	We really shouldn't have important information only accessible
> from SIG links.  How about following the Linux example and creating a
> list of HOWTOs?  They're small documents that cover one specific topic
> quite completely; some of the Linux ones cover things like configuring
> PPP, using Chinese/Japanese character sets.  Python ones could cover
> the database interface, threads, or whatever.  (The docstring in
> cgi.py could almost become a CGI HOWTO.)

Agreed.  The problem is, we desperately need volunteers to set this
up.  Ken Manheimer doesn't have time!

> GvR wrote:
> > E.g. I imagine that the archives of the recently closed pythonwin-sig
> > should still be accessible!
>
> 	Who suggested taking them down?  I'm certainly not going to
> remove them just because the SIG closed; people may come across them
> while doing a Web search and find out about Python that way.

Absolutely -- but good SIGs have links to their own archives too and
those might become inaccessible.  It is also a bit of a trick I think
to keep the raw majordomo archives around when the list is abandoned.