[META-SIG] Re: SGML-SIG? was: Re: xml lib

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:37:15 -0500

Skip Montanaro wrote:

> Every time you create a sig you migrate the discussion out of
> comp.lang.python to a mailing list with a much smaller audience. People
> reading comp.lang.python can easily read and respond to stuff they see in
> the newsgroup, but will have to subscribe to a new mailing list (admittedly,
> not hard) and possibly manage an extra incoming mail thread (more
> challenging if they get a lot of mail).

True, but this works both ways. SIG traffic often gets more high
priority attention because it comes in actively through mail rather than
sitting passively on a news sserver.

> You also have startup overhead
> (deciding on a charter, etc) and the problem of newcomers to Python
> discovering that the sig even exists. One or more of these problems will
> deter a lot of potential contributors from following the topic from
> comp.lang.python into the newly created sig.

Again, this works both ways. Until we have a sig, we don't have an
"official" mandate. I guess we can make up and discuss a mandate and
call ourselves an "loosely organized discussion group", but that sounds
like just another name for "sig".

> So, I agree with Guido.  If you want the SGML discussion to move out of
> comp.lang.python/python-list@cwi.nl, move it to the doc-sig.  Most of the
> people who would be interested in SGML are probably already subscribed to
> it...

I don't mind discussing SGML in the main newsgroup, but I think that
doc-sig is definately the wrong place for it. Doc-sig has a mandate
after all and SGML is only distantly related to that mandate. Many
people interested in SGML are not interested in Python documentation and
many people interested in Python documentation have no interest in SGML
(eg. Guido :):) ) You might as well have Grail discussions there based
on the argument that Grail can be used to deliver the Python
documentation.

I'll wait for a few more responses before deciding whether to start an
"loosely organized discussion group" within the newsgroup or push for a
SIG. I'd love more feedback either way.

 Paul Prescod