[META-SIG] Re: SGML-SIG? was: Re: xml lib

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 11:14:57 -0500

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Use the doc-sig; SGML has been discussed there many times.

I would rather have a special SIG with its own mandate and Time To Live.
I don't think the doc-sig people really care about the intricacies of
our SGML APIs and our design of SGML-oriented software.

> BTW the recent fate of the plot-sig and the thread-sig (both of which
> took off and then quickly faded away completely) makes me believe that
> we should stop creating SIGs.

Why not just evaporate dead ones? I explicitly suggested a TTL on the
SGML SIG because I knew that we were concerned about moribund SIGs. I
would like to think that as we move through various phases of technology
we can create and destroy SIGs as appropriate. A C++ Sig may be
meaningless 10 years from now and it could be dissolved. A distributed
smell processing SIG might be desperately needed and we could create it.

Think of them as Python equivalent of IETF working groups.

 Paul Prescod