[PYTHON META-SIG] It's time to create an IMAGE-SIG!

Fredrik Lundh fredrik_lundh@ivab.se
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 22:49:04 +0100

Hi,

 Just talked (eh, mailed) a little with David Ascher and we both
thought it's about time to create an IMAGE SIG, devoted to Graphics,
Image File Formats, Document Imaging, GIS, and Scientific Image
Processing, using tools like my (yet to be seen) imaging library, the
matrix extension, imageop, publically available packages, and more.

 This group would provide a general forum for people interested in
image handling and processing; ranging from just reading and writing
image files on to heavy-duty scientific image processing, geographical
information systems, remote sensing, and such...

On the initial agenda, what about stuff like...

	- providing a basic extension module to read and write
	  common image file formats, and carry out common tasks
	  like resize, cut/paste, dithering, ...
	- providing image display capabilities for the common
	  GUI extensions (Tk, Wpy/MFC, X, Mac)
	- creating interfaces to image processing packages like
	  XITE, ImgStar, Khoros, and more
	- putting really good image support into Grail :-)
	- developing image processing extensions to the Matrix
	  library

And yes, I guess I'm mad enough to coordinate this effort...

What do you think?

	/F