[PYTHON META-SIG] Encouraging PSA membership

Ken Manheimer ken.manheimer@nist.gov
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 11:35:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> The Python Software Activity (PSA) needs your donation!
>
> For as little as $50 a year, you can join the PSA.  The money goes
> towards care and feeding of the PSA's web, ftp and email servers, the
> organization of Python workshops, and other tasks in support of the
> Python community.  See <reference> for more info.

I, in my undying verbosity, need to increase the length by a line.  But i
think this increases the message by quite a bit - i spell out the
underlying purpose of the PSA, and even (cheating a bit) make it
unmistably clear that it is a not-for-profit organization.  Here's my
pass:

 The (not-for-profit) Python Software Activity (PSA) needs your donation!

 Python exists, and is free, thanks to contributed efforts of many people.
 The PSA was created to maximize the results of those efforts, by helping
 to coordinate them.  For as little as $50 per year, you can help the PSA
 maintain: the python.org web, ftp, & email services; python workshops; and
 other python-community support mechanisms.  See <reference> for more info.

(Realistically, it would expand to claim another line when the reference
is spelled out, and when the "not-for-profit" is, more properly, included
in the body rather than the head line.  Then again, the other version
probably would, also...)

Ken