[PYTHON META-SIG] Encouraging PSA membership

Guido van Rossum guido@cnri.reston.va.us
Thu, 07 Sep 1995 10:30:16 -0400

Yesterday, Bob reminded me again that not enough people (or rather,
hardly anybody) is signing up for the PSA.  We need to do something.
I propose to start campaigning.  There are three places where I think
we could put an ad in:

1) The www.python.org home page

2) The README file that comes with the Python source distribution

3) The mailing list / newsgroup

Actually (since nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition), there are
*four* places where we could put an ad in:

4) The FAQ

We need two pieces of text:

A) A *short* (2-5 lines, the shorter the better) blurb to attract
people's attention.  It should explain that we want people to write a
check for $50, what the benefits are, and where to find more
information.  This could be inserted in all four places.

B) A more elaborate text explaining what we want in some more detail.
This should be on the Web server in the "How to join the PSA" section
and could also be a separate file in the Misc directory in the source
distribution.  On the mailing list, it could be the second part of the
message.

Here are my cuts:

The Python Software Activity (PSA) needs your donation!

For as little as $50 a year, you can join the PSA.  The money goes
towards care and feeding of the PSA's web, ftp and email servers, the
organization of Python workshops, and other tasks in support of the
Python community.  See <reference> for more info.

Support the Python Software Activity!

The PSA needs money to maintain and improve its web, ftp and email
servers, to organize Python workshops, and to organize or coordinate
other activities in support of the Python community.

Individuals can join the PSA by making a donation of $50 a year.  More
is allowed.  Full-time students can join for only $25.  Companies and
organizations can join by donating $500 or more.  Donations will be
acknowledged on the PSA web server (unless anonimity is requested).

Checks should be made payable to "CNRI/PSA" and sent to the following
address:

	CNRI
	1895 Preston White Drive, Suite 100
	Reston, Virginia 22091

Comments, please, so we can start!

(Roj&Barry -- do you think we need to run this by Bob first?)

--Guido van Rossum <guido@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>