[melbourne-pug] Install ‘conda’ using Debian package manager

Sergio Valqui svalqui at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Aug 2 00:06:59 EDT 2017

> So if I install those packages using ‘python3 -m pip install’, I have an
> equivalent environment that can behave correctly in a tutorial that assumes
> Anaconda?
>

> That confuses me. Is that a list of the packages to install in order to have an
> Anaconda environment?

Anaconda does the version control for all those packages, for a given version of Anaconda there is a given version of the packages; it also manage the environment; so is not as easy as simple installing the packages.

> > Which one you need depends on what you are trying to achieve,
>
> I'm trying to have an environment, by installing operating system packages
> and PyPI packages, that will perform correctly in a tutorial that assumes I
> have Anaconda.

This is difficult to achieve as anaconda manages the package versions, and environment; also the packages are quite diverse too manage them individually, and expect them to perform as if you have anaconda can be demanding.

BTW, If you use a PC heavily and install Anaconda, it can easily fall apart.

All the Best.