[melbourne-pug] Any value in recruiters job posts?

Anthony Briggs anthony.briggs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 00:00:55 EDT 2016

Hi Sebastian,

My personal experience is that recruiters don't provide much, if any, value.

The only job that I've sourced through a recruiter was a terrible, *terrible
*PHP job that I quit after a week. I did have several interviews at around
the same time, but a) you need to be head and shoulders above the
competition for them to consider you, given recruiter's fees (~20% of the
annual salary IIRC), and b) if you *are *head and shoulders above, then
you'll be getting cold calls from various companies anyway and/or will be a
relative shoe-in at most interviews.

I've managed to get off most recruiter books after several years of working
on my own stuff, but I used to get a raft of calls from them whenever a
senior Python position came up. At one place I worked, it became a game to
try and figure out the originating company given a particularly lazy
cut+paste position from Seek or wherever.

There may be some companies that work solely through a recruiter, but good
luck filtering those out from the spam.

Hope that helps,

Anthony