[melbourne-pug] Agile

David Nugent deeprave at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 09:28:32 EST 2016

Hi Brian,

Just my 2c worth...

Like yourself, I've worked in this industry a lot of years, and
personally found that the word "agile" is very overloaded. In fact, the
term itself is just a broad methodology of incremental development that
is in no way industry specific, and it covers a few variant disciplines.

But what most call "agile" in the software industry is a discipline
called "scrum"; referring to a highly collaborative team-based approach
that follows a particular set of principles and role structure. In
practice, workplaces implement it slightly differently, with various
degrees of success, depending on the personalities and capabilities of
those involved.

While there's certainly something to be learned from adopting an agile
approach, it isn't the utopia that some make it out to be. It takes
people to drive it, and at the end of the day it's people and not the
process that gets stuff done.

> > "... as long as the candidate showed a willingness to operate in an
> > agile way."
>
> Hmmm. Wonder if I need to be better at communicating this. Just a
> thought.
> --
> Brian May <brian at linuxpenguins.xyz>
> https://linuxpenguins.xyz/brian/