[melbourne-pug] Python 2.4 and Python 2.6

Graeme Cross gcross at fastmail.fm
Sun Dec 6 22:49:44 EST 2015

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015, at 02:13 PM, Brian May wrote:
> Graeme Cross <gcross at fastmail.fm> writes:
>
> > From memory, it is RHEL 5 that shipped with Python 2.4.
>
> I see it still has security updates until March 31, 2017 and is
> supported until November 30, 2020.
>
> https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/
>
> Assuming the reporter of the bus is using RHEL 5 (I will ask) I am
> inclined to answer the pull request with:
>
> * Redhat is paid to support RHEL; however this project is run entirely
>   by one unpaid volunteer.
> * The patch adds complexity for all versions of Python, including
>   Python 3.5
> * Thankyou for your contribution, however I am not interested in applying
>   it at this time.

Brian,

It would be worth asking them if they can do a parallel install of a
more recent Python version; for example, via Fedora EPEL or Rackspace's
IUS:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
https://ius.io/

There are plenty of good instructions on the web on how to do this for
RHEL 5.

Then again, the reporter may be maintaining mission critical systems
that can't be touched.

Regards,
Graeme