[melbourne-pug] string formatting / Format SPecific Mini Language

Josh Bode joshbode at gmail.com
Tue May 13 11:43:04 CEST 2014

This is much more obvious and clear than my solution (which looks like an emoticon gone wrong), and from a quick test, at least twice as fast on small strings ~ 80 characters - and gets even better on long strings (not that speed’s probably a huge factor here)

In IPython:

In [1]: something = 'A' * 40

In [2]: %timeit something.ljust(80)
1000000 loops, best of 3: 439 ns per loop

In [3]: %timeit "{0:<{1}}".format(something, 80)
1000000 loops, best of 3: 876 ns per loop

In [4]: %timeit something.ljust(10000)
1000000 loops, best of 3: 867 ns per loop

In [5]: %timeit "{0:<{1}}".format(something, 10000)
100000 loops, best of 3: 2.4 µs per loop