[melbourne-pug] Excel spreadsheet munging under Linux. Limits?

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Tue Feb 4 05:15:13 CET 2014

On 4/02/2014 2:29pm, Javier Candeira wrote:
> At work I need to manipulate a series of excel spreasheets, and I seem
> to remember that people have discussed the topic in a meeting. I have
> two questions to anyone who's already had to do the same:
>
> - What's the current best Python library for excel manipulation?
> - Are there any limitations for handling Excel sheets under Linux?
> What kind of thing would I need Windows (and presumably, a live copy
> of Office) for?

I haven't used MS Office for years but have no difficulty using
LibreOffice (and OpenOffice before that) to produce Excel spreadsheets.

The spreadsheets are just data so should be viable on Windows even if
produced on Linux. All you need is a tame Windows user to prove it
works. My wife still uses MS Office from last century so I could prove
an old .xls format spreadsheet for you. I could also prove the latest
.xlsx format works on Windows via LibreOffice but that isn't MS Office.

I know this isn't a python library as you mentioned but LibreOffice is a
mechanism for producing Excel spreadsheets for testing or getting you
some fast results while perfecting the python library side of things.

Also I believe LibreOffice has a Python interface - probably for the
macros - although I have never bothered trying it out.

Mike