[melbourne-pug] Textbook on algorithms and data structures in Python?

Javier Candeira javier at candeira.com
Thu Mar 29 03:58:04 CEST 2012

(Oops, sent too early and the message was incomplete):

At Monash there is a plan to move first year programming and CS
courses away from Java. The second semester unit on introduction to CS
(algorithms and data structures) will (very probably) be taught with
Python!

I have been asked about textbooks. If anyone here has direct
experience with any of the following books, I'll appreciate their
comments. Otherwise, I am guiding myself by amazon comments and. At
some point we'll have to read the books (natch!), but it will be nice
to cull them beforehand and work with a shortlist.

Rance N. Decaise: Data Structures and Algorithms using Python
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470618299/

Bradley N Miller: Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures
Using Python
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590280539/

Magnus Lie Hetland: Python Algorithms: Mastering Basic Algorithms in
the Python Language
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1430232374/

David M. Reed, John Zelle: Data Structures and Algorithms: Using Python and C++
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590282337/

Bruno R. Preiss: Data Structures and Algorithms with Object-Oriented
Design Patterns in Python
http://www.brpreiss.com/books/opus7/

We would rather have feedback from someone with direct experience, but
we have already seen these resources:
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/123768/is-there-a-canonical-book-on-python-algorithms-and-data-structures
http://www.quora.com/Whats-a-good-algorithms-book-with-examples-in-Python

Copied in this message is the lecturer for this unit, please keep her
in your answers as she is not a subscriber to this list.

Thanks!

Javier