[melbourne-pug] pyserial installation on Windows 7

Graeme Cross gcross at fastmail.fm
Thu Feb 9 22:06:22 CET 2012

On 10/02/2012, at 4:37 AM, Scott Knapik wrote:

> Does anyone know if pyserial can be installed and run on Windows 7 64-bit OS running python 2.7 32-bit application?
>
> “Python 2.7.2 (default, Jun 12 2011, 15:08:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win32”

Scott, from memory (so that this with a grain of salt), it will install but doesn't work.

I would need to check some of our installations at work, but I think we are either:

(a) running a 64-bit version of the pyserial library that we got from the "Unofficial Windows Binaries for Python Extension Packages" site at:

	http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

(b) or, using a version that we built ourselves from source

A quick google suggests an alternative which I've not tried:

	"IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are on a 64bit system you had to use the version 2.4 from pyserial and you need the additional Python Win32 Extensions pywin."

	http://code.google.com/p/measureit/wiki/Windows

Regards
Graeme