[melbourne-pug] python slow, pypy fast

Richard Jones r1chardj0n3s at gmail.com
Mon May 30 06:51:36 CEST 2011

On 30 May 2011 14:48, James Alford <mydnite1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pypy seems quite fast.  What I want to know is should you be aiming to
> develop python with pypy or should you really concentrate on python 3?

Yes, pypy is really very fast for almost all benchmarks they throw at
it. Your question cannot be answered without knowing what you're
developing. Off the top of my head:

- Does your application need serious performance using regular Python code?
- Can your performance critical bits be coded in C or cython?
- Do you need to use existing libraries?

All of these questions will help you decide between python2, python3 and pypy.

     Richard