[melbourne-pug] continuous integration

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Tue May 18 02:39:32 CEST 2010

On 18/05/2010 10:07am, James Alford wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I went to a very good phpmelb user group talk last night on continuous
> integration by Andrew Edwards.  The one particularly good point was
> that using a tool like Hudson makes it easy to view the results of a
> test and build, and the contributions of the developers over time.
>
> Is anyone using Hudson http://hudson-ci.org (or similar), what are
> your thoughts on it?

Not Hudson but maybe similar. Buildbot continuous integration rocks
especially for a solo operator. It is almost like having a
pair-programmer beside you. I use subversion hooks to trigger a build on
every commit but you could send a message to trigger it. It runs on a
single VM provided you control the DNS for the master and as many slave
builders as you need.

The buildbot config is all Python and that lets me see the result of as
many steps as I like on the display website. If something goes wrong I
can drill down and see the actual stdout that step produced. It goes a
long way to pinpointing introduced problems. The Python language itself
is continuously built and results displayed via buildbot.

http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/trunk/

Buildbot will do anything you can do in Python or in a shell. And it
isn't Java.

Mike