[melbourne-pug] Windows thoughts

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Fri Jul 2 08:49:12 CEST 2010

On 2/07/2010 4:18pm, Sam Lai wrote:

> You have an XP license then. Why not just wipe Windows 7 and install
> XP?

As I said earlier, death, taxes and ... I can't escape it if I want to
help my clients (ie stay in business!).

So I think keeping a WinXP VM and a couple of linux VMs lets me target
all platforms I'm needing to. It will be a while before I'm up to speed
with this blasted Win 7 though.

>> 7. UAC - what were they thinking? I admit it is necessary and also
>> that the Unix/Linux security model takes getting used to in the
>> beginning. But it is worthwhile putting the effort in for Linux
>> because it is stable. It's a good return over a long term
>> investment. I don't trust MS to get UAC right for quite some time
>> so why should I invest my meagre brainspace in their ever-changing
>> ideas?
>
> Not really. UAC is largely only enforcing what Microsoft have been
> recommending as best practice since 2000/XP launched.
>
> Running as the admin user was never recommended practice; neither
> was applications writing into locations other than the user profile
> directory. These are two most common reasons elevation is required.
> Next would probably be making OS-level queries/changes, but the
> additional pain here is just including a manifest so Windows
> requests elevation from the user before launching your app.

OK - I don't develop as root on linux and there isn't any problem there.

I guess I'll have to come to terms with group policies and tweak them so
I can write and test code and install stuff without needing to reach for
a stiff whisky. Then, just like Linux, I'll create unprivileged users to
test it. I wonder if there is a "best practice" setup for this sort of
thing? Might have to go googling.

It would be nice if there was a sudo in Win7 because this laptop has a
fingerprint reader which saves a lot of typing :)

Mike