[melbourne-pug] mirror app [Was: Project time?]

Nick Farrell nicholas.farrell at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 07:12:09 CET 2010

Google's visualisation API is actually quite good, and we have used it
before when presenting some complex data to DPCD - in particular, the Motion
Charts<http://code.google.com/apis/visualization/documentation/gallery/motionchart.html>interface
allows up to 5 dimensions of data to be displayed at once: one on
the time axis, two on the X/Y axis (which need to be continuous or at least
numeric dimensions), one which defines each ball's relative size (also
numeric) and another for each ball's colour (which may be a discrete
dimension). With no programming beyond formatting the input data, end-users
can fish for relationships with only minimal training. Patterns which would
never be seen in tables or static graphs can be divined very quickly when
movement and colour are used...

<IMHO>
My two cents would be to build a web service which acts as a central
catalogue of the available data sources, along with some metadata on each
one. Then use client-side code (javascript) to connect directly to the
datasources. The more standards-compliant the organisations are with their
data, the easier it will be for the clients to use it. This is similar to
OpeNDAP, and the OGC geospatial web services such as WMS/WFS.

This approach would also encourage other government agencies to contribute,
as the overheads are very low - just provide access to the data using one of
a number of supported protocols. No need for them to build a front-end, and
no need to advertise it; it will immediately appear in the list of available
data sources.

Python is likely a good tool for the central web service, and may also be
useful for the data providers. When it comes to the core work here though,
I'm not sure that python is the best language, unless we'll use something
like pyjamas to convert python code to something which can run client-side
in browsers. To provide a tool for working with all this heterogeneous data,
and potentially more in the future, it would be unwise to try to cherry-pick
a subset of the data and discard the rest as useless. Let the users decide
for themselves.
</IMHO>

nick