Instant messaging & ICQ

altis@y... altis@y...
Wed, 30 May 2001 19:55:12 -0000

You might want to check out the Jabber infrastructure. The Jabber
protocol justs passes around XML until it hits a Jabber gateway which
can then talk to ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, and AIM, or any
other defined gateway on the server.

http://www.jabber.org/
http://www.jabbercentral.org/
http://www.jabber.com/

There are numerous clients and servers available for different
platforms as well as documentation on the protocol, etc. so that
should help get you going. Since there are already Python libraries
to do the XML parsing for you, it should simplify development.

ka
--- In medusa@y..., lucifer@e... wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm one of those who are trying to build an instant messenger based
on
> medusa.
> I was wondering if anyone has tried to communicate with ICQ.
> I know there is a C library, but no python port.
> I'm no C programmer, so I cant port it, not even using SWING I
> believe, but I was planning to study the protocol and build my own
> library.
> Has anyone tried something similar ? Or tried to port the C
library ?