[medusa] Re: running medusa in the background without exit

Jim Fulton jim@d...
Tue, 07 Sep 1999 10:40:19 -0400

jam wrote:

> greetings!
>
> I've been using the 1999-09-02 rev of medusa for the last few days, and it's
> working *great*.
>
> the question I have, though, since medusa exits when it gets a SIGHUP, is
> how do I keep the server running in the background even when I log out? I
> have set up apache to redirect all requests on port 80 to the medusa server
> on port 8080.. this is fine when I start medusa from my shell prompt and let
> it go, and I could use 'nohup' to prevent it from exiting, but then I
> wouldn't be able to restart it without a fuss (something I need to be able
> to do until the 'reload' of modules on-the-fly is working.
>
> how do other folks handle this situation? any suggestions?

The Zope distribution (www.zope.org) includes a module, zdaemon,
for *easily* creating Unix daemons, which is what you want to do.
We plan, eventually, to release this separately for use by other
Python programs. In the mean time, feel free to grab it and use it.
For an example of it's use, see the Zope ZServer startup script,
z2.py.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton mailto:jim@d... Python Powered!
Technical Director (888) 344-4332 http://www.python.org

permission. Violation of my privacy with advertising or SPAM will
repeats.