[Matrix-SIG] RE: Authoring tools (was Active arrays)

Scott M. Ransom ransom@cfa.harvard.edu
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 01:39:10 +0000

"John A. Turner" wrote:

> PFD> Anyway, I hardly think any other solution that involves money
> PFD> would be any better. I disagree that HTML is ok; even if everyone
> PFD> uses a WYSIWIG, the language is sufficiently inexpressive that it
> PFD> is a problem (especially for writing about a language in which
> PFD> indentation counts).
>
> agreed
>
> PFD> Besides, I want tools that help me make and maintain the index
> PFD> and TOC.
>
> for me, the name of that tool is spelled "LaTeX"

I would have to agree that CVS'd LaTeX is the lesser of all of the
evils.  It has the advantage of being free and available in one form or
another on virtually every system out there.

If a simple document class is chosen (and all required style files are
included in CVS) I don't see why this would lead to a disaster.

I have successfully managed to use CVS LaTeX in a collaborative manner
before -- it is not the easiest thing to manage, but it is not difficult
either.

Other benefits include automatic TOC and Indices as well as exporting to
about any format you can think of.

Other problems could be minimized by a couple page "Author's Guide" to
the NumPy documentation.

Just my two bits,

Scott

--
Scott M. Ransom
Phone:  (781) 320-9867             Address:  75 Sanderson Ave.