[Matrix-SIG] Numerical python on SourceForge?

Janko Hauser jhauser@ifm.uni-kiel.de
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 00:18:39 +0100 (CET)

If a restructuring of the development model is considered, I would
like to raise some more questions. I agree with Travis that a
decision regarding the inclusion of parts of NumPy into python should
be made. Questions under this topic are:

- What parts? Is it important to be compatible with jpython or viper?
  If nD-arrays go into the core, become they part of the language?

- I think all the higher level stuff (fft, lapack) should remain an
  external module.

- Can these modules be separated in a similar form to other modules. I
  mean, is it achievable to integrate e.g. the cephes module at the
  same level as Numeric? Or deintegrate e.g. fft on the other hand?

- Should there be provisions made for the inclusion of new packages
  into the source tree? This inflicts with the progress of the
  distutils package.

- Should the documentation be made compatible to the normal python
  module documentation? I would volunteer to reformat the
  documentation.

- Are our needs fulfilled by sourceforge? I mean a first step would
  be a public CVS (anonymous checkout, restricted checkin)

- Will gist be also part of this ``outsourcing''?

- Can some parts be restructured? I think about the array_map from
  Travis and some code from the arrayfns module.

- Is it possible to include also some more IO stuff at the ``basic''
  module level?

Stop!

Just as a side note, our perl counterpart pdl is already at
sourceforge :-)

__Janko