[Matrix-SIG] Numeric tutorials at next conference?

Andy Robinson andy@robanal.demon.co.uk
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:49:59 GMT

I'm trying to organize a few financial talks and events at the next
Python conference.  It is apparent that Python is being used very
successfully in a number of investment banks.  Furthermore, I have the
impression that a few of them would send people down to learn more if
we had the right agenda.  This as it is very good advertising - how
many other languages beginning with P are used to make money?

I'm hoping to persuade a few people to submit papers related to
finance, economics or accounting by the end of this month.

The icing on the cake would be for a tutorial on the Numeric
extensions (and probably for other stuff - I could pitch in and help
out on accounting).   Is there anyone here who feels interested in
giving all or part of a tutorial on this?  Ideally this would have a
strong applications focus, with realistic examples of things you might
acually want to do with NumPy (though not necessarily on financial
applications).

There is also a VERY high level of interest in the financial community
in an extensible event-simulation package and a time series library.
I'd like to hear about anyone working in this area with Python.

Volunteers, suggestions, ideas and flames all welcome.

Regards,

Andy Robinson
Robinson Analytics Ltd.