[Matrix-SIG] Numpy in Viper

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 02:56:20 -0400

[John Skaller asks ...]
> 	The question is: why would a _numerical_ programmer
> want a C API at all, if they had a high performance compiler?
> [The answer 'compatibility' is obvious. Any other?]

In my experience, largely because proper numerical analysis (i.e., surviving
life with floating point) is very difficult in large-scale work, and if you
can leverage off a widely thought-to-be robust numeric library, life is
correspondingly that much easier and safer.

In another vein, I've written many pieces of hyper-optimized numeric
libraries for HW vendors over the years, and these days I wouldn't even
consider it without full access to HW-level 754 knobs, and even a bit of
inline assembler.  Almost all vendors supply hooks for both in C (although
different hooks from different vendors).

IOW, to avoid reinventing more-than-likely poorer wheels, but also to make
it possible to create great new wheels when necessary.

half-the-joy-of-a-c-api-is-that-it-bridges-to-a-fortran-one-ly y'rs  - tim