[Matrix-SIG] Numpy in Viper

Pearu Peterson pearu@ioc.ee
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:32:38 +0300 (EETDST)

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, skaller wrote:

> 	The questions are:
>
> 	a) is it worth the effort for Python to provide native arrays
>
> If YES: (my belief)
>
> 	b) should NumPy be ignored in favour of the FISh mechanism?
>
> If NO: (my belief)
>
> 	c) should NumPy be supported but deprecated?
>
> If NO: (I am not sure: hence questions on this forum)
>
> 	d) Should we attempt to make the two mechanisms compatible
>
> It is my belief that (d) would be the best option IF it is, in fact
> possible. (c) is the next best option.

Hi!

I am not familiar with this J stuff but I do have some questions:
First, can you give some (rough) estimate how it would affect the
performance?
Second, how it would affect writing Py/C API's?
I'll presume that the notion of contiguousness is there, right?

BTW, I do like elegance too ;)

Regards,
	Pearu