[Matrix-SIG] performance hit in c extensions

Heather Drury heather@v1.wustl.edu
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:16:27 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

Thanks for everyones suggestions re: performance slow down in python.
I've done some more experiments and here is some additional information:

I wrote a very small python test script that calls my C wrapped code (which
is computationally expensive) with a small array and it took 2.5 minutes.

I then called the same function from my relatively large python program
(lots of graphics & vtk stuff) and it took 13 MINUTES!!

Ouch.

The disk is not thrashing. Over 200 meg of memory is free when
I run the program. When I call the function from my "big" program it starts
off pretty quickly and then gradually slows to a crawl.

So, it's not python. It seems to be memory related (I guess). Is
there some limitation to the size of memory that the python
interpreter can use?

Heather
--

Heather Drury                               	heather@v1.wustl.edu