[Matrix-SIG] Adding a Sparse matrix object

David Ascher da@ski.org
Tue, 18 May 1999 14:53:16 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Tue, 18 May 1999, John Turner wrote:

> TO> Is there an interest in developing a sparse matrix object with
> TO> appropriate methods and functions defined to complement the array
> TO> object?  I suppose to be symmetric it should be a sparse array
> TO> object... I'm interested in generating some discussion on this
> TO> topic if there are any takers.
>
> I've been thinking of doing just this for a while as a "first
> significant Python project", since it's something I know a little

I can't help, knowing very little about sparse matrices, but I can
guarantee that many folks would be very interested in such a datatype w/
adjunct solvers/etc.  It's a very common question re: NumPy.  I can give
general advice on writing object types, etc.

BTW, I'd suggest looking into ExtensionClasses, as they provide very
useful mechanisms for subclassing in both C and Python.  Information
available at: http://www.digicool.com/releases/ExtensionClass/

--david