[Matrix-SIG] FFTW

david.buscher@durham.ac.uk david.buscher@durham.ac.uk
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:02:00 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Rob Hooft wrote:

> FTTW is GPL (not LGPL), which means that inclusion in any kind of
> package leaves me out (I'm also writing commercial software in
> python).

I know this is a side issue, but has anyone asked the authors of FFTW
about whether they would consider LGPL'ing it? I have been `in the market'
for a fast, flexible, open-source C implementation of multi-dimensional
FFT's for many years, and FFTW has been the first package that has come
along that has hit all of the requirements dead-on. The authors state
their intention of it becoming a de-facto standard, so maybe the change of
licence would be something they would be amenable to...

David

 David Buscher                          |  Phone  +44 191 374 7462
 Dept of Physics, University of Durham, |  Fax    +44 191 374 3709
 South Road, Durham DH1 3LE, UK         |  Email  david.buscher@durham.ac.uk