[Matrix-SIG] Fortran-to-python-interface-generator: looking for opinions

J. Milgram milgram@cgpp.com
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 18:01:10 -0400

> From: "Andrew P. Mullhaupt" <amullhau@zen-pharaohs.com>
> Subject: Re: [Matrix-SIG] Fortran-to-python-interface-generator: looking for opinions
>
> > Any thoughts, suggestions are very welcome as I need to decide in which
> > direction I should proceed.
>
> Keep in mind that Fortran 77 is no longer a standard language.

Not to take issue with this, but I think what you actually mean is
that F77 is obsolete.  It's still a standard language, even if it has
been formally disowned by ANSI (I don't know for a fact that it has
been, but in any event). There's still a widely-available document
that defines the language, it hasn't changed since 1978, and it's
unlikely to ever change. The very definition of standard.

I only mention this because lots of people (e.g. me) still work with
Fortran 77 because of (1) legacy code (2) availability of free
compilers (g77 and f2c/gcc) and (3) it's *very* portable if you stick
to the standard. So I'd discourage any development directions that
involve abandoning F77 compatibility at any level. Which I don't think
this discussion was really about, but still.

regards,

Judah