[Matrix-SIG] Re: problem building LLNL11 Graphics/Gist

Zane Motteler zcm@llnl.gov
Tue, 13 Apr 99 14:28:41 PDT

Joe,

You wrote:

>On Solaris 2.6 (sparc), with python 1.5.2b1, using egcs-1.1.1,
> the Gist library won't load properly, because of the error:
>Traceback (innermost last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>  File "/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/gist/gist.py", line 5, in ?
>    from gistC import *
>ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: relocation error: file
>/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/gistCmodule.so: symbol PyArray_Return:
>referenced symbol not found
>
>I tried linking gistCmodule.so against
>_numpymodule.so, where PyArray_Return is defined, but it didn't help.
>
>I had this working with an earlier release of LLNL, but I don't recall what I
>patched.

It sounds to me as if you need import_array. Without this,
gistC is unable to access the functions in _numpymodule. (In
general, .so files can't access eqach other's symbols.)

What you need, right before the assignment to PyOS_InputHook,
is

#ifdef import_array
   import_array()
#endif

This should fix the problem.

Zane

--------------------
Zane C. Motteler, Ph. D.
   Professor Emeritus of Computer Science and Engineering
   California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
   zmottel@calpoly.edu
Currently:
   Computer Scientist
   Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
   P O Box 808, L-038 (Street address 7000 East Avenue, L-038)
   Livermore, CA 94551-9900
   zcm@llnl.gov  925/423-2143, FAX 925/423-9969