[Matrix-SIG] LLNL Distribution 11 (gamma) available

Paul F. Dubois dubois1@llnl.gov
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:02:29 -0800

LLNL Distribution 11 is available as a gamma. This means, it is available
and I think it works but the number of beta testers was not large enough and
so I don't want to make it "the" release yet. Linux, Solaris, and Win 98
with VC++ 6.0 have worked for me and others.

You can get the files as:

ftp://ftp-icf.llnl.gov/pub/python/LLNLDistribution11.tgz (for Unix)

ftp://ftp-icf.llnl.gov/pub/python/LLNLDistribution11.zip (for Windows)

Please read the rest of this message before using.

Unpack the distribution and read the Release_Notes and INSTALL files in the
top level directory for the low-down on the new installation procedure. In
particular, there is no more Windows "installer". (Yeah!) You just cd to
Numerical and double-click on windows_install.bat.

The Windows file contains the prebuilt libraries. Unix users will need to
run
python makethis.py
python installthis.py
in each package you want to make, as instructed.

If you were a Windowser who had trouble with the Version 10 installer this
ought to do the trick. I am rushing this out to solve that problem. Some
get it to work with pre-1.5.2 Pythons if you don't like the uncertain tone
of this announcement.

If you don't have Python 1.5 then post-install you should fix your
PYTHONPATH environment variable to include the directory where numeric is
installed.

The one feature I am seriously worried about is described in the release
notes and instructions are given for how to compile it out in case I blew
it.

Please note that convolve has been renamed to cross_correlate and a proper
convolve added. This incompatible change is regretted but necessary. As a
matter of philosophy I prefer not to add attempts to detect versions and
change behaviors. See the subject "Windows installer" for the source of this
antisocial view. My feeling is that few people were using this function but
if you are one of them you will break your code if you install this version
without corrective action.