[Matrix-SIG] advocacy

Greg Ward gward@cnri.reston.va.us
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:32:58 -0500

Much of this NumPy (SciPy?) 'advocacy' discussion deals with problems
that are not specific to "Python for the working scientist", but to
"Python for anyone except dedicated Python hackers" in general.  In
particular, Scott Ransom nailed this point exactly:

> 2.  Develop a more robust package building system.  I know this is a
> major topic of discussion for Python in general, but it seems
> particularly applicable to our problem.

Well, the good news is, you scientific guys are not alone: *everyone*
recognizes the need to make building Python add-on modules and extension
modules easier.  The better news is, something is starting to happen: I
ran a session at the recent Python Conference Developer's Day devoted to
starting a project along these lines, and from that was born (in concept
at least) the Python Module Distribution Utilities.  Right now, there's
a bit of talk on the meta-sig to get a distutils-sig started and get
cracking on the work; if you'd like to lend a hand, then take a look at

   http://www.foretec.com/python/workshops/1998-11/dd-ward-sum.html

where you'll find a summary of that Developer's Day session.  I don't
know if there's much point in joining the meta-sig -- this topic hasn't
generated a lot of heat, and if nothing more happens soon I'll just go
ask the appropriate authorities to create the silly sig so we can get on
with it.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                    gward@cnri.reston.va.us
1895 Preston White Drive                      voice: +1-703-620-8990 x287