[Matrix-SIG] Quick... Duck! (or: YA Newbie)

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Tue, 12 May 1998 13:41:34 +0200

> Ideally one would not supply ANY version of LAPACK with NumPy. The
> convenience is nice, but it is almost certain that our copy will get out of

I'd say the convenience is essential. Most NumPy users I know would
give it up instantly if they had to figure out how to use a Fortran
LAPACK with NumPy on their machine.

Ideally a configuration script would figure out if a LAPACK library
exists and do what is necessary to use it, using the supplied C
routines as a fallback only. Unfortunately that is a nontrivial
problem.

As an interim solution, we could collect working Setup files for
various machines and ship them with NumPy. I suspect that renaming
a Setup file is still within the capabilities of most users.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais