[MATRIX-SIG] [Q] default NumPy installation

Paul F. Dubois Paul F. Dubois" <dubois1@llnl.gov
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 08:46:24 -0800

I'll answer these to the sig because they may be of more general interest.

-----Original Message-----
From: Harald Singer <singer@itl.atr.co.jp>
To: matrix-sig@python.org <matrix-sig@python.org>
Cc: riwa@itl.atr.co.jp <riwa@itl.atr.co.jp>
Date: Thursday, March 12, 1998 7:22 PM
Subject: [MATRIX-SIG] [Q] default NumPy installation

>Hi,
>
>I just downloaded NumPy-11.tgz
>
>[1] documentation is out of date
>the compile instructions in Numerical don't fit the distribution.
The compile instructions are in the top-level README.htm. I didn't realize
there were compile instructions in the Doc subdirectory; I'll remove them.

>[2] release naming incosistency
> NumPy10.tgz
> NumPy-11.tgz

I changed my mind.

>[3]
>What is the "preferred way" of installing NumPy in a multi-machine
>environment? (Linux, OSF1, HP-UX, etc)
>
>Just following the "new procedure", I did
>  python makethis.py
>  make install

The documentation points out that at this point there is no support for the
installation; it is up to you to copy the .so's to where you want them, and
likewise the Lib/*. On Windows no "install" is required.

Obviously this isn't a good thing, but please be patient as I have an actual
job. Obviously Konrad and David must have done something close to correct
for Unix but I haven't had a chance to look at this part at all. Apparently
make install does part of the job, so that's good. Konrad had an
"install.py" to parallel "compile.py". What we want to do is make this work
on all the different packages that are going to be in the distribution.
There are quite a few already and it is going to get worse.

One question we've been kicking around is what form the installation should
take...Use the new package stuff? If we do that some existing import
statements will need fixing, but we might all be happier in the long run.