[MATRIX-SIG] integer division -- what a concept!

Rupert Mazzucco maz@pap.univie.ac.at
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 12:50:27 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, David J. C. Beach wrote:

> Yes, Rupert.   I'm sure that a beginner would also find the concept of
> polymorphism confusing, but that doesn't mean I think we should take it
> out of the language.

This is not the same kind of confusion. A beginner may find the
concept of polymorphism *difficult to learn*, yes. But people are
not preoccupied with some different meaning.

Division, however, is taught in school, and people learn
that 1/2 == 0.5. Confusion arises if this is suddenly not
true anymore, for obscure -take that literally!- reasons.

> You see, most beginners haven't done any programming where they'd need
> integer division.  So naturally, when stumbling upon it, the beginner
> finds it absurd.  That doesn't mean that integer division isn't necessary
> and useful.

While I doubt the _necessary_, I'm sure you can put it to good use.
I'm only concerned about numerical errors that may creep into the code.
Maybe there could be a flag to turn on a runtime warning?

Regards,
Rupert Mazzucco