[MATRIX-SIG] Possible bug in Numeric LoadArray function

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 17:55:22 +0100

> I have read part of the discussion between you and Jim Fulton. Was
> there a real conclusion. Is pickling the only general way for NumPy. I
> know one can store arrays in netcdf, but what if one wants to store a
> hole object (make it persistent). I understand pickling to be similar
> to a flat database format. Isn't there a way to have something like
> BLOBs in this format?

Pickling has a number of advantages, most of all that it is supported
for almost any Python object. With respect to the cPickle discussion,
we never reached a final conclusion. That does not mean that
supporting NumPy pickling is impossible at the moment, but it would
suffer from the same problem as the current pickle implementation,
namely that a temporary data object of the same size as the array must
be created.

Obviously other storage formats could be invented and implemented,
but it's probably less effort to properly implement pickling.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais