[MATRIX-SIG] compiling NumPy for Windows

David Ascher da@skivs.ski.org
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:37:22 -0800 (PST)

> No, we need to supply project files for Windows and your stuff for Unix.

Agreed.

> I'm going to proceed on the premise that the installation on each platform
> includes the library and include files because such a high percentage of
> users are also going to be extenders.

Again, agreed -- let's get this to Guido ASAP -- the sooner we convince
him, the sooner it'll happen.

> a. I believe an "extender" would need the .lib and the .pyd both. What
> about the .exp file? The .def? Anything else?

The .LIB is created on the way to the .PYD file.  The .DEF is simply there
to tell the compiler which symbols to export in the .LIB.  The .EXP is an
intermediate file.  So .PYD for Python-only runtime use, .PYD + .LIB for
those cases which need access to the C API.

> b. How do you tell Wise to adjust Python's path in the registry?

item: Edit Registry
  Total Keys=1
  Key=Software\Python\PythonCore\%PY_REG_VERSION%\PythonPath\%PY_APP_NAME%
  New Value=%INSTDIR%;%INSTDIR%\Lib
  Root=2
end

This sort of thing.

NB: 1) WISE has an upgrade which you should get -- apparently makes things
       much more robust.
    2) We can take this offline -- I think Mark, Harri, you and myself are
       the only ones who've played with WISE (except for Guido, but he's
       busy =)