[Matrix-SIG] Re: blitz++ vs. NumPy?

Paul F. Dubois dubois1@llnl.gov
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:43:36 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Yoon, Hoon (CICG - NY Program Trading) <HYoon@exchange.ml.com>
Cc: matrix-sig@python.org <matrix-sig@python.org>
Date: Tuesday, December 15, 1998 8:32 AM
Subject: RE: [Matrix-SIG] Re: blitz++ vs. NumPy?

>While we have better indexing, can we also have missing-values in arrays?
>Sorry to keep bringing this up, but it's major importance to my work.
>I also have minor problem, when 1/2 does not come back with 0.5.I just use
>float for everything. I get NaN as missing and 1.0/2.0 always returns 0.5.

Dean Williams of LLNL has a patched version of NumPy that supports missing
values (but also a lot of other stuff that is quite project-specific for his
own project). Assuming the paperwork goes through I will be working with
Dean some time after the new year, and while we have yet to firm up a
priority list, making a missing-value version of NumPy is an important goal.
To do this right probably involves rewriting NumPy in some way. Of course, I
will attempt in so doing to create a missing-value array component
independent of the project-dependent parts.