[Matrix-SIG] Re: blitz++ vs. NumPy?

Paul F. Dubois dubois1@llnl.gov
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 07:32:50 -0800

Several correspondants have opined that wrapping Blitz is of value only if
its performance characteristics could be exploited. I respectfully disagree.
Assuming Blitz became a widely-used C++ numerics vehicle, having a wrapped
version for Python would enable easy and efficient wrapping of whatever
numerical packages appear that make use of it. And, FWIW, eliminate a lot of
code we have to maintain/debug. It is easier to wrap than create, ne? And
NumPy will have to be rewritten, and soon, if it is to be maintainable.