[Matrix-SIG] Re: blitz++ vs. NumPy?

T.-Y. Brian Yang tbyang@llnl.gov
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 10:11:27 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, "Paul F. Dubois" wrote:

> Thinking more outside the box, and perhaps closer to what the original
> poster may have intended, is the question, could/should NumPy be rewritten
> to use Blitz in its implementation, or should a similar facility be
> written
> that wraps Blitz. I think those questions are worthy of study: clearly one
> can do it, the question is, is it a good idea?
>
> I'll look into it.

It will be worthwhile only if the following Python expression does
not generate temporary arrays.

>>> a = a + b + c

But this requires changes to the Python interpreter. Short of that, the
following will be fine.

>>> Numeric.expression ("a = a + b + c")

a little parser in the module turn the expression into a C++
call that uses expression template.

Brian Yang